AmigaActive (1012/2143)

From:Kevin Twyman
Date:13 May 2000 at 12:31:35
Subject:Re: PFS2 - 3 Upgrade (Long)

Hello Neil,

On 11-May-00, you wrote:

>> Now I'm biting my nails about actually re-formatting a partition.
>> ;)

> Start with an unimportant one forst.

ALL of my partitions are precious to me! ;)

>> What about the boot partition?

>> Surely if you install a new filesytem on that and then re-boot to
>> save the changes, the whole HD will show as NDOS?

> No, only that partition. If that's thew only boot partition, you'll
> need to boot from floppy to format it and copy it's contents back
> from wherever you backed them up.

I ended up going a more complicated route (before I read this!)

I have a partition I use to put image files on for burning CDs, so
I copied WB to that, altered its boot priority and booted from it. I then
just copied the contents back once I'd installed PFS on the original boot
partition and formatted it.

> Remember to put a copy of pfsformat on the boot floppy or one of the
> other partitions. Unless you've got a Zip drive, in which case you
> can put everything you need on a bootable Zip.

I used the original Amigados format command. Having read the docs, it
has problems with large partitions? As all my partitions are under
2Gig (Workbech is only 53MB) I assumed it would be OK. Both my HDS are
relatively small, a 2.1GB and a 4.3GB. Or is there more to it than this?

One thing I noticed was the loss of quite a lot of disk space once a
partition was converted to PFS. I assume this is the space taken by
the .deldir directory?

I was a bit miffed at first, but thinking about it, the functionality
of being able ro recover files is worth the loss of space, especially
considering the size of HDs now on offer.

Regards,

Kevin - Est. 1949 http://www.theboyz.freeserve.co.uk
A man with an Amiga A4000T CyberStormPPC 604e/233

Anyone able to feel pain is trainable.

Make new friends, find the old at Classmates.com: